Saturday August 1st kicks off World Breastfeeding Week, a global campaign to raise awareness about the benefits that breastfeeding can have for both the baby and mother. There is also a push for improved maternal care, nutrition, food security, and poverty reduction. This year the theme is “Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet.”
Breastfeeding is not as easy as one may think. Sure, for some it is, but for others it is a difficult journey. Many mothers are aware of the benefits of breastfeeding, however, they do not always know how to make the breastfeeding journey a successful one. Luckily mothers in the Nashville area have a variety of supports available to them. Here are some great tips and resources for the nursing mother:
- One of the best ways to prepare for your breastfeeding journey is to take a breastfeeding prep class. Many of the area hospitals have great classes. Blooma Yoga, Nashville Birth and Babies, and Baby+Co all offer breastfeeding classes as well.
- If you prefer a video you can purchase “Laugh and Learn About Breastfeeding,” a breastfeeding class by a lactation consultant on DVD. This is a great resource to watch a month or so before your due date. Laugh and Learn also has a childbirth and a newborn baby care DVD.
- Check out one of the many breastfeeding books at the Nashville Public Library. I highly suggest La Leche League’s “The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding” or Ina May’s “Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding.” Both are available in hard copy or eAudiobook through the Nashville Public Library.
- Request to see a Lactation Consultant in the hospital at least twice before you leave.
- Nashville Birth and Babies offers lactation support in the office, in your own home, and now via telehealth as well. Visit https://www.nashvillebirthandbabies.com/lactation-services.html for more information.
- TN Breastfeeding Hotline, available 24/7! This is a great source of support and is there any moment you need it. 1-855-4BF-MOMS (1-855-423-6667)
- St. Thomas Midtown FREE Breastfeeding Clinic: Open M/W/TH 9am-2pm. Located on the 3rd floor at the Family Learning Center.
- Facebook is full of advice and support. Check out these pages and groups for information and support:
Middle TN Breastfeeding Support
La Leche League USA
Respect the Breast
- Dr. Jack Newman with the International Breastfeeding Centre has some great videos of breastfeeding. Sometimes you just need to SEE what’s going on with another baby. There are tons of videos as well as informational sheets that you can check out.
For a full list of all the Nashville breastfeeding resources and support in our area, please visit the Nashville Breastfeeding Coalition.